Saturday, May 31, 2008

God, faith and prayer

The promise of eternal life is nice, but honestly doesn't have much relevance or importance for me. What really does it for me is the supernatural help I get in my every day life.

By all that's logical, today should have been a horrendously horrible day. We power cleaned for HOURS because of the realtor coming Monday and tomorrow we'll be gone all day. The kids struggle with days like this because it's no fun to clean and they get tired of helping pretty quick into the endeavor. Understandable, but the whining that ensues grates on me, contributing negatively to the day. I started the day not feeling well. My heart rate was at 120 beats per minute which is great if you're working out, but I was just sitting. On both our resident RN's orders, I took my morning meds and sat down. So that stuff evens out and I start cleaning. Then the stomach cramps started and my body proceeded to cleanse its system. That lasted for hours as well. All in all, I should have been screaming at people, impatient beyond words, generally cranky all day long, and banished to my room by noon.

But my life is not ruled by what is logical, by what can be seen and measured and quantified. My life is ruled by the supernatural power of God. I started praying yesterday about today. I woke this morning and began praying; it was rather random being first thing in the morning, but I did start with prayer. Next I looked at Klove's Word of the Day [God arms me with strength; and he makes my way perfect. Psalm 18:32]. I picked up my Joyce Meyer daily devotional which takes about 30 seconds to read. I listened to my favorite 38 Christian songs on repeat. During my enforced sitting period, I prayed some more. When I showered I talked to God about how weak I was today and how I needed his strength today and how I knew I could do all things with His help even get through this day. Defying all logic, I did not scream at a single child. Defying all logic, I got so much done even while in tremendous pain. Defying all logic, I am feeling relaxed and calm this evening. That simply doesn't happen without God's intervention. I know because I lived through days like this when I didn't pray and didn't try to read His Word. Those days turned out as rotten as one would expect.

This is why I believe: God causes me to be the calm, loving, supportive mother and wife that I long to be. I tried to do it without His help for years. After every blow up at Kyle, I would vow to never do it again citing to myself all the reasons I absolutely could not lose my temper at him again. Within 24 hours, I would lose it at him once more. Nothing I did in my own strength ever helped even a little bit. Then we moved to Woodburn and I started attending a young moms Bible study mentored by an amazing woman, Diane Burton. Through her I learned about prayer and how easy it is. So I tried it and it worked. That is why I believe. God has kept every promise to me that I have found in the Bible. If you seek Him, you will find Him. ~Becca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! Amen!