Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Grace Defeats The Monster...

The other day, Rick had me listen to a song called "Monster" by Skillet and he shared with me that he sometime feels exactly like the words in the lyrics. Here are the words to the song:

The secret side of me
I never let you see
I keep it caged but I can't control it
So stay away from me
The beast is ugly
I feel the rage and I just can't hold it
Its scratching on the walls
In the closet, in halls
It comes awake and I can't control it
Hiding under the bed
In my body, in my head
Why won't somebody come and
save me from this
Make it end
I feel it deep within
It's just beneath the skin
I must confess that I feel like a monster
I hate what I've become
The nightmare's just begun
I must confess that I feel like a monster
I feel like a monster
My secret side I keep
Hide under lock and key
I keep it caged but I can't control it
'Cause if I let him out
He'll tear me up, break me down
Why won't somebody come and save me from
this make it end
Its hiding in the dark
Its teeth are razor sharp
There is no escape for me
It wants my soul and it wants my heart
No one can hear me scream
Maybe its just a dream
Or maybe its inside of me
Stop this monster

When I first heard the words, I was felt horrible that Rick felt like this sometimes, but the more I thought about it, the more I had to agree that all of us probably feel like a monster at some point in our lives. We all have that monster in us, just hiding under our skin. We do live in this fallen world and all us have sin in our lives because of it. I would actually be a little worried if you didn't think you were a monster or had sin your life.  Feeling unworthy is natural and brings us to the feet of God.  Even Paul talks about this monster in Romans- "And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway... I love God's law with all my heart. but there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?" (7:18-19, 22-24)  In fact it is addressed often in the New Testament.  However, there is more to the story.  This song is not complete.  The answer to the question who will save me, is Jesus. :-)  "God declared an end to sin's (the monster) control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins... Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do.  For if you live by its dictates, you will die.  But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live." (Romans 8:3,12-13)  This is what is so awesome and powerful, that even though all of us have that monster in us and it rears its ugly head now and then, by God's grace we have Jesus living in us, if we so choose, to defeat that monster.  Praise God and Amen to that!

Love Steph

No comments: