Friday, March 12, 2010

Earthquake

The other night some friends were over and we were talking about the big earthquake that we experienced back in 93 (I know, this was a long time ago!). But as we chatted we talked about how when the earthquake started we had no idea how it would end. Would our houses be standing? Would the roof cave in? Would we be alive? So as it was happening, I know for me, I was about 14 and I shared a room with my sister who was 8. I remember hearing her crying and I was telling her everything would be ok...but at the same time I had my eyes closed and was holding onto my trendle bed for dear life.

It wasn't until the quake was over that I let go, got off the bed and ran to my parents. How cool would it have been if instead of closing our eyes, covering our ears, holding still, if we would have jumped out of bed and seen what was going on outside? The ground rolling, the trees shaking, the pool moving! We tend to not enjoy the ride and trust God that he's going to bring us through something and that He's got a plan and will protect us. We stress in the middle of circumstances without knowing the outcome. And then we look back and say, "that wasn't so bad." Hindsight is what? 20/20. Our God always has a plan and I'm going to practice this the next time I am in the middle of something. Whether it's an earthquake, a storm of some sort, a sickness, whatever it might be. I am going to open my eyes, pray and trust that the Lord is carrying me through it. So that as the situation takes place, I don't miss out on the beauty of what God has to offer.

Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let the sea resound, and all that is in it;
let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them.
Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy;
they will sing before the Lord, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in truth.
Psalm 96:10-13

1 comment:

The Sherman's said...

Me too :-) Thanks for the thought and the reminder.