Sunday, January 13, 2008

"Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

John 8:1-11

I have had a lot of thoughts following Zach's sermon this morning. One of which I wanted to share, only because it hit me hard today. Zach taught on the adulteress woman whom Jesus forgave. How she should have been stoned to death because of her sin. Jesus allowed her to go and said, "go, and sin no more."

My thought was not only of the new life that this woman was handed from Jesus, but the idea that she was facing a death sentence. What a crazy parallel. I, myself, have never been a dead man walking, I have never been threatened to being stoned to death, I have never had a weapon held to me. I cannot empathize with this woman who was about to lose her physical life. Because of the fall, we were all headed to hell, death. We cannot imagine what this eternal life would be like nor should we take the time. I do know that my life as a Christian would be different if I had encountered this threat and Jesus had physically saved my life. I think it would be easier to "sin no more." There would be more obedience, more prayer, more love, more forgiveness, less criticalness, less judgement, less apathy, etc. I know this would be true for all of us.

Tonight I put myself in her sandals and imagine standing before Jesus and the pharisees and the teachers of the law. And Jesus would say, "Cammie, I do not condemn thee, go and sin no more." Grace is freely given from him, and I would freely receive it. I would look forward, and never look back. Our sins are forgotten, they'll never find us, they're on the ocean floor.

Jesus did say this to each of us. What an amazing truth.

In His Service,
Cammie

No comments: