Thursday, September 27, 2007

Confessions of a waterworks mechanic!

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139: 23-24


Well to say the least, today at work God had to do some refining in my heart. From time to time I let pride and my competitive side get the best of me. Well over the last couple of months at work various guys have been working on our meter change out program. At the end of the day they would come in pumping up their chests stating how many meters they changed out. Well, I have been in their shoes before and could not figure out what they were doing all day since they were not really changing out that many meters. I could not wait to start changing out meters to show them how many I could change out in day.

Well this week I got the opportunity to start changing out meters. It did not go as planned. As my partner and I changed out meters we were able to change out many. However, we were not able to reach the number that I thought we should reach. We kept getting pulled of the task at hand and had to go do other things. Well so much for showing them. As I started today changing out meters I started to pray, why Lord is it that we cannot reach this total number I have in mind? Well all of a sudden the lights and sirens went off, PRIDE. Once I figured this out, I thought no problem, I recognize the problem and could move on. Well, not quite yet. It was then I thought of the above verse and was convicted. It was one thing for me to say that I knew the problem and it was fixed, but it is a whole other thing for me to ask God to search my heart, see if there is anything offensive in me and then lead me in the way everlasting. I urge you all to pray about this verse and ask Him what is it in your heart that needs to be removed.

I can tell you once you are able to come to your knees before Him and ask this of Him, it will be so rewarding. At the end of the today we far surpassed the number that I had in my mind. The great part about it was that I realized that I served no man in this task, but I served our Heavenly Father as I drove around Clackamas changing out water meters.

God Bless,

Rick

No comments: