Monday, July 9, 2007

Aching Heart Priorities

Dear Church,

Why does my heart ache when I see a homeless person? My heart aches as
I see they need clothes or cleaning or a place to live or a job. I
feel sorry for them because they have few, if any friends. Nothing like
we are blessed with, having each other just a phone call away. I
realized today there must be a 100 other reasons why my heart aches for
them. THEN, I realized my priorities for their welfare was missing the key
ingredient, Jesus! I have been praying for them as I walk down town
for their safety and their warmth and their ability to find food and
never thinking to ask God for their salvation to be foremost in their
minds. I realized the same is true when praying for my church. I ask for
marriage closeness and financial success. I throw in health and job
happiness. And never stop to think about you folks and your actual
salvation. I know from experience that some days faith might as well be a
million dollars. I know from experience that pursuing the Lord 24/7
does not come along very many days in the month. How in the world have I
left that out? You people should hang me up and whip me. So from now
on I promise, when praying for you by name, to include "pursuit of
knowing Jesus" as a priority. And I ask that you do the same for me.
PLEASE!!! Left to my own devices I will fail. Knowing all of you are
behind me and beside me and circling your love around me while asking God
to draw nearer to me is all I could ever ask for. Like Zach says, if we
draw nearer to Him and He draws nearer to us, then all the other stuff
will take care of itself. I love you guys so, so much. Thanks for
your patience with me and putting up with all of my noise!!!

Doug Kemp

3 comments:

The Elliotts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Elliotts said...

Wow Doug, this is so true. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! It brightens my day to visit this blog to see what people are thinking and the way that God is speaking to everyone. It's like icing on the cake after reading the "Utmost." I love it! Oswald would be proud. :-)

Cammie

jtw said...

Doug, You are such a blessing to me! Thank you for so openly sharing. I am glad to be "walking beside you"! Jo