Wednesday, July 11, 2007

God and Motorcycles

This morning I met my dad at the Aviation Museum in McMinnville to spend some time with Him and look at some cool planes. When I got up this morning I thought it would be nice to ride the motorcycle over there. It has been a couple of weeks since I road. I have not had time to ride since Maxson came along and Steph will not let me take him out on it yet, maybe in a week or two.
Well the ride over was beautiful and I could not have asked for much better riding conditions. I was comfortable in my riding gear and there was very little traffic. I enjoy the roads between our house and McMinnville since it is through some beautiful farmland. I have road this stretch of road many times and always seem to enjoy it.
By the time Dad and I got out of the museum it had warmed up a bit. The ride home was not as enjoyable, but I kept telling myself that I was on the motorcycle and to enjoy the ride. As long as I was in the open farmland the ride was actually decent.
I made it home and did some things around the house and then I needed to run to town to see some friends and I jumped on the motorcycle again. This time it was no good at all. I had to go to the other side of Woodburn and it was around 5 pm. It never fails when I go to Woodburn at this time I hit every stoplight red. The same was true tonight and it was close to 100 out. It was not much fun at all.
On reflection of today’s rides I have found it was not the motorcycle that I did not like. It is the environment and the circumstances that I was in. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity ride today. No matter what the weather is like the motorcycle is still carrying me to my destination and that is so much fun. I have been in some very miserable weather from wind and rain to days of 100-degree weather. At the moment it seems like it is unbearable but now all I can see is that I had a good day riding.
I think about my motorcycling experiences and compare them to my walk with God. They are very similar. For starters it is amazing that I get to walk with Him and He will see me to my destination. I cannot think of a better place to be in life than with Him. There are times though when I am in that rainstorm or out on a 100-degree day with Him. It is on days like this that I have to realize that it is not Him that is causing the pain and suffering, but it is the environment that I am in. He is still the same as He was on the cool morning that I enjoy so much to ride on. I encourage all of us to remember that no matter what the weather is like to remember, that He is there carrying us to our next destination.

May God bless all of you. Rick

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks buddy! I appreciate your heart in what you said. I love how the Lord teaches us in practical ways. Amazing!

Hey Steph...Hey Maxson! Love you guys.

Nathan

jtw said...

Thanks for your insights. You've given me a valuable lesson today: Yes, God is still the same no matter what the situation.

God has been teaching me to enjoy each "moment in time". How much better a way for me to be.

Love to all,
S.I.C. (sister in Christ),
Jo
xxxooo - for Steph and Maxson!

Anonymous said...

What a great morning! Thank you for brining it... more to come I hope!

IHS
Z

Anonymous said...

I needed that Rick. I forget that I am a child of the Lord sometimes and struggle through the day. Thanks for the reminder. Can Maxson go bungy jumping with me yet? Say hi to Steph!!