Monday, July 23, 2007

Are we willing to enjoy times of quiet?

“Better a handful with quietness, than with both hands full, together with toil and grasping for the wind.” Ecclesiastes 4:6


As I headed back to work this verse continued to roll around in my head and as I prayed through it I could not help but realize how this verse applies to my own life in so many ways. I was off from work for 4 weeks to spend time with Steph and Maxson; this was a definite change in pace for me. I am usually going about 90 miles an hour with work, the farm, family and friends. I all to often miss the quiet times that He sets aside for me and blow right by them. Over the last four weeks life slowed down as I spent time with two of the greatest gifts that I have been blessed with and at times I felt that my ministry was lacking in some way. I was at home with my wife and newborn son and somehow I thought something was lacking in my life. How foolish is this? Life changed for these few weeks and I was able to enjoy quietness and only have a few things on my plate.


The sad thing about his is it took me going back to work to realize this. This happened once I had both hands full and life was full of toil and it seemed as I was grasping for the wind, as I once again joined the rat race. I have been blessed with a wonderful job but all to often I let it consume my life. What is it that consumes your life? Are you willing to enjoy the quietness? Or are you after having both hands full? I know that I have to continually come back to this verse and ask myself these questions and I challenge you to ask these same questions in your own life. All to often I work to create a ministry or just to make myself busy. I challenge all of us to work at being able to come to Him and rest in Him and enjoy the times of quiet.

God Bless,
Rick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rick, I loved your entry! It wasn't until Dave and I understood simplification and quietness that we really began living for our Lord and were able to hear His voice. We are so happy for you, Steph and Maxson. This is such an awesome time in your life.
Love, Steph F.