Thursday, August 23, 2007

Being "Proskartereo" in Prayer

Proskartereo is the Greek work for faithful, it implies "intensification of strength and persistent devotion."

In Romans 12:12 Paul writes, Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

As Zach taught on faithfulness on Sunday he said faithfulness is not "flighty, a fluke or a phase. It is a life of loyalty." Tonight let's take a look at our prayer life. Are we faithful in prayer? Or are we flighty; do we go through phases? I know for myself I will have a good 2 weeks where my communication with God is intensified with persistence. And I don't know what happens but it will drop off to be more flighty. This becomes so frustrating. Do any of you agree or experience the same circumstances? As I read the end of Zach's definition...it is a life of loyalty. My desire is to be loyal with prayer. As we've been taught through scripture, we can talk to God like He is our friend.

Tonight, I urge you to kneel before our Maker. Do your children come to you and say good night before they sleep? Do they awake in the morning and come to you with hugs and smiles ready for a new day? You are your children's maker (along with the Father of course). So just as much as we desire for our children to talk with us, the Lord desires that from us.

If you struggle with prayer, ask the Holy Spirit, who dwells in your richly, to teach you how to pray. Start with a simple Lord's prayer, Matthew 6:9-13. You will be blessed and the King will be honored!

You are called, chosen and FAITHFUL! (Revelation 17:4)

Let's seek unwavering loyalty in prayer!

Good night to our family at Hillside. We love you!

IHS,
Cammie

3 comments:

Becca said...

YES I do struggle with periods of praying and asking God for help in everything and then for some inexplicable reason flaking out. Frustrates the daylights out of me. I've learned to remind myself I can't be a perfectionist about my prayer life either. I am working towards taking time to devote to prayer. In the meantime, I talk to God throughout my day as I am doing laundry or washing dishes. My focus right now is simply to make sure I am talking to God and asking for help frequently.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes. At times I find it extremely difficult, but I am working on it. "proskartereo", I like that. I'm working towards changing the "phases" into a solid habit! Thank you Cammie for putting emphasis where it belongs! Love, Jo

Anonymous said...

"Flighty" is an excellent word for my prayer life. I am ashamed. I wonder if ignoring God is harder on me or harder on Him. I lose a chance to grow but He sees a life not accomplishing what He prescribed. Does He weep for me? Why don't I weep knowing I have alienated myself from the Living God. Thank you Cammie. Your blog hopefully will help all of us grow STARTING TODAY!!! Doug.