Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Gift

In answer to my husbands call for brothers to treat their wives as gifts, I ask my sisters, do we act as gifts from God to our husbands. I led a Bible study last year about this very subject. It was shortly after Rick had found that verse and he had told me about it. At the time I had thought how nice. The fullness of that verse didn’t hit me until a few days later when I woke up with a start. And the words “I AM A GIFT FOR MY HUSBAND” were ringing in my head loud and clear. I had never thought about my self as a gift from God to someone else. I felt and still feel so special. Sisters, have you ever thought of yourself as a gift that God gave to our husbands? Well, if you are anything like me once those words hit me, I became a little overwhelmed. I had many questions run through my head. Do I live up to that status of being a gift? Am I the wife that God has called me to be? Do I clothe myself with a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God? (1 Peter 3: 4) Do I trust God enough to accept the authority of my husband? (1 Peter 3:5) I try to be all these things everyday by doing the little things for my family. It isn’t easy and I know that I fall short on many occasions, but asking God in prayer, gives me what I need to do His will. Sisters, I too ask you to pray for me to always remember that I am a gift from God to Rick. I also ask you to pray for each other, as I will pray for you, to obey our Father in being the wives he has called us to be.

As for all my brothers and sisters, do you think of yourself as a gift? A gift for Jesus? We are His bride, waiting for Him to claim His gift. And to answer the question “are we worthy of being gift status?” The answer is yes. Of course, we can’t do it by ourselves. But through Christ it is possible.

He gave up his life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word. He did this to present her to himself as a glorious church without a spot or wrinkle or any other blemish. Instead, she will be holy and without fault. Ephesians 5:25-27

Love Steph

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proverbs 31:10-12
10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

What an honor to be a wife. To love, to respect, to be a gift to someone else...all the days of our lives.

Thank you for your encouragement Steph. I will pray for you, if you pray for me, and for the other ladies of Hillside. May we have new eyes to love, respect and submit to our husbands. They are a blessing to us!

IHS,
Cammie